MSc Student Internship in Neuroscience Discovery (12 months)
At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now - even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The Neuroscience Discovery Group at Roche oversees the research and development of novel therapies for a range of serious disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, schizophrenia, and multiple sclerosis.
We are offering a unique chance to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team of the neuroimmunology/neurodegeneration and in vivo electrophysiology groups. Therefore we are looking for a highly motivated master student who will investigate the impact of alpha-synuclein pathology and gliosis on electrophysiological function in cortico-striatal circuits in a mouse model of Parkinson’s disease. Pathological changes occurring early in disease might serve as biomarkers for disease progression and hence support the development of future therapies. The internship will support data analysis activities such as development of an analysis workflow and implementation of novel analysis functions to apply to in vivo electrophysiology data. You will gain valuable experience in cutting-edge electrophysiology and biomarker data analysis technologies in an interdisciplinary industry environment.
During the internship in our dynamic, international team you will be responsible for the following:
- Perform exploratory data analysis on an available data set
- Develop new data analysis methods and incorporate them into an existing data analysis workflow
- Present your progress at internal meetings
- Perform literature searches and align your work with published data
- Summarize your results and work towards publishing the data at conferences and in papers
Who you are
You are an enrolled student in the advanced phase of your Master degree, preferably in Neurobiology, Physics, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Neurophysiology or in a related field. Your career interests are in neurophysiology or data analysis. You are interested in working in a multi-disciplinary environment where in addition to the scientific insight, translational value and support of drug development projects are our main focus.
You are fluent in English written and spoken and you convince us and our collaborators with the following skills and competencies:
- Previous experience in signal analysis is mandatory
- Knowledge in software development. Experience with Python or Matlab is advantageous.
- Experience in the analysis of neurophysiological data
- Versed in multivariate data modeling
- Feeling comfortable to learn and apply artificial intelligence or machine learning based data exploration and analysis would be a plus
Moreover, you are:
- Enrolled in a Master program at a university or have finished your Master’s thesis and are looking to expand your experience with an internship (in that case must still be enrolled at a university for 6 months while at Roche)
- Able to work in a team setting and in a multicultural environment
- Creative, persistent, driven, self-critical, and eager to learn
Information about application documents and starting date:
The preferred start date is April 2018 or upon availability. Applications need to include a CV and a motivation letter. Optional: Reference letters, transcripts, etc.
Due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens have to provide a certificate from the university stating that an internship is mandatory as part of the application documents.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Roche strives to be an equal opportunity employer.
Wer wir sind
At Roche, 94,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
- Standort Switzerland, Basel-City, Basel
- Funktion Vocational & Development Programs
- Subfunktion Internship
- Arbeitszeit Full time
- Funktionsebene Entry Level
- Art der Anstellung Temporary (Fixed Term)
- Firma/ Division Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Posted since 2019/02/06
- Job-ID 201901-102423
Kontaktieren Sie uns
Dr. Volker Herdtweck-Nietzel