Internship - Renewable energies and smart grids (100%)
The changing energy landscape with increasing converter-interfaced, time varying renewable energy sources (V-RES) and electrification of new sectors such as transport and heating/cooling presents challenges for transmission and distribution system operators.
Achieving a very high share of large or distributed small-scale V-RES into the grid operation requires paradigm change in the way the grids are designed, controlled, protected and regulated; bringing new requirements for all the relevant products and system solutions.
- Perform market analysis studies on various topics relevant to the energy system, with particular focus on renewables and smart grids
- Build business cases for various players/stakeholders involved in a business area
- Conduct competitor analysis across the sector
- Derive system and product requirements based on the market analysis
- Define high level functional architecture of possible innovative solutions to be introduced in the market in medium to long term
- Simulate various scenarios and technologies within an energy system
- Modelling traditional and emerging technologies at different power system levels (e.g. DC grids, electro-mobility, energy storage, demand response, etc.) using ABB proprietary and commercial tools,
- Developing, maintaining and documenting new techno-economic analysis tools for simulating power system behavior on different time scale from milliseconds to decades,
- Data collection (technology, markets, policy and regulations) for building new local and global scenarios
- Currently pursuing an M.S. degree in electrical engineering, control engineering or a similar subject
- Familiar with optimization solutions connected to the simulation tools
- Experience with Renewables and Smart Grids technologies, solutions and concepts
- Capable to carry out the work independently and be at the same time a good team player
- Background in the following power system topics: Dynamic analysis and modelling (e.g. transient, voltage) and/or Steady-state analysis and modelling (e.g. optimal power flow, unit commitment, state estimation) power electronics and converter control,
- Profound knowledge of and experience in one programming platform (e.g. Matlab, Python, GAMS, Modelica)
- Sufficient experience with one power system analysis software package (e.g. PowerFactory and DSL, Neplan, PSS/E, ATP/EMTP, etc.),
- Written and oral proficiency in English (C1)
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution - creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Please note that we think of a duraton of 9 - 12 month for this internship.
Interested in joining our team? If so, we look forward to receiving your full application (motivation letter, CV, transcript of grades, references) only via our online careers tool. A better world begins with you at www.abb.com/careers
ABB Switzerland Ltd