Graduate Data Scientist
Location: Zurich, Zurich, CH
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Programme
We are looking for graduates with strong interpersonal skills, who are eager to learn and broaden their knowledge and expertise. You have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree with up to 2 years professional experience - we invite you to apply to our graduates@swissre programme 2021.
The programme offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast paced world of a leading risk knowledge organisation. Over an 18-month period, you’ll receive on- and off-the-job training, including a job rotation that gives you the opportunity to work across various business units.
About the role
We are seeking a Graduate Data Scientist in Zurich with passion for technology to join our diverse IT team. You will work closely with our colleagues in Risk Management and develop analytics services and solutions for supporting Sustainability-, Political-, Emerging- and Operational Risks.
In our daily work, we understand problems of our business clients and help them to ideate and implement innovative solutions. This involves a wide range of tasks from gaining in-depth knowledge in various areas of (re-) insurance, the translation of business challenges into technical and data science solutions. In addition, it includes solving machine learning and statistical tasks and building solutions that can be applied by our customers in their everyday work. These tasks are as varied as the fields we work in: e.g. understanding the Carbon footprint of our company, automating the extraction of information from textual data, using technology to reduce errors and constantly improve the way we work.
In detail, the role will involve:
Responsibilities & Key Tasks
- Working on machine learning projects (e.g. automated decision making, improvement of process quality and efficiency)
- Data extraction, preparation, transformation
- Design and implementation of production-grade solutions, supporting the team that implements the in-production solution in the hand-over process
- Integration of technical solutions into business contexts
- Communication with internal and external clients and communication of technical content to a business audience
- Working with multi-functional teams in an agile setup
About the team
We have a diverse team of around 10 persons and with many different backgrounds based in Switzerland. We closely collaborate with colleagues in Slovakia and know each other personally. In our unit we have a broad variety of different technical and risk management related backgrounds. Our diversity is complemented by a strong team spirit always striving to deliver the best solution for our customers and supporting you in your personal growth.
- You have successfully completed your university degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or related quantitative field
- Analytical problem-solving skills and ability to assimilate complex information. Interest in learning new techniques and personal improvement.
- Knowledge in languages and techniques like R, Python, SQL
- English language skills
- Interest and prior knowledge in machine learning, statistical modeling and related technologies
- Interest in building and deploying innovative solutions using machine learning
- Aptitude to express him-/herself effectively in one-on-one conversations and small groups
- Team-player, willingness to contribute actively to the overall team spirit
Advantageous Additional Skills
- Background in software engineering (e.g. agile programming, project organization)
- Experience in distributed computing (e.g. Spark)
- Experience with geographic modeling or processing of geo-data
- Knowledge of Text Mining, Natural Language Processing and related technology platforms and tools
We are looking forward to your application!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.