Graduate Economic Valuation & Methodology
Location: Zurich, Zurich, CH
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Programme
We are looking for graduates with strong interpersonal skills, who are eager to learn and broaden their knowledge and expertise. You have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree with up to 3 years professional experience - we invite you to apply to our graduates@swissre programme 2021.
The programme offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast-moving world of a leading risk knowledge organisation. Over an 18-month period, you’ll receive on-and-off-the-job training, including a job rotation that gives you the opportunity to work across different business divisions.
About the role
Did you ever wanted to apply your academic experience to further develop economic valuation frameworks in interaction with a wide range of specialist in a dynamic environment? Then this position is the right place! You will be working in the Economic Valuation & Methodology unit within Group Finance focusing on Economic Value Management (EVM). EVM allows to value all operations within a (re)insurance company on a comparable basis, and is the framework used by Swiss Re for measuring value creation and steering the company, including planning, pricing, reserving and asset and liability management (ALM). EVM shares similar economic principles with the Swiss Solvency Test (SST), our Group regulatory reporting framework, and IFRS, our upcoming Group accounting standard. This position offers you an outstanding opportunity to gain deep insights on the principles of modern, economic-based insurance valuation and accounting frameworks and to understand the value chain of the (re-)insurance business!
The main responsibilities of the position include:
- Supporting the Economic Valuation & Methodology team in its role as the Swiss Re primary centre of competence for all questions related to the EVM methodology and, more generally, to economic valuations of insurance contracts and companies
- Reviewing the implementation of the EVM framework across our reinsurance Business
- Strong collaboration with cross functional working groups and global projects
- Contributing to EVM and SST reporting activities and analysing economic valuations and economic performance data using cutting-edge technologies for data warehousing and analytics
- Staying on top of developments in corporate finance, international accounting and regulatory standards in order to provide input in terms of economic valuation
About the team
We are a dynamic, multinational and diverse team of around 10 people located in Zurich and Bratislava. We work in close collaboration with Finance colleagues in Group Reporting, Treasury and Swiss Re’s Business Units as well as with Risk Management and Underwriting specialists on topics related to economic valuation and capital allocation. Our team spirit is dedicated to constantly enhance the economic valuation methods across our company, one of the largest reinsurance companies in the world.
- University degree, preferably in economics, finance, or other equivalent business-related field. Actuarial skills as an asset
- Passionate about the (re-)insurance business, economics and financial markets
- Strong analytical skills and ability to focus on details without losing track of the bigger picture
- Approaches problems with curiosity and flexibility, is a fast learner
- Creative, showing a high degree of own initiative
- A team-player, actively engaging to improve the overall team spirit
- Ability and passion to work in a global and multicultural environment
- Mature and self-confident, with the aptitude to express him-/herself efficiently in one-on-one conversations and in small groups
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word). Knowledge and interest in data science and programming complete your profile
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.