Graduate Risk Modeller
Location: Zurich, CH
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Programme
We are looking for graduates with strong interpersonal skills, who are eager to learn and broaden their knowledge and expertise. You have a Bachelor, Master or PhD degree with up to 3 years professional experience - we invite you to apply to our graduates@swissre programme 2022.
The programme offers you the chance to join the dynamic, fast-moving world of a leading risk knowledge organisation. Over an 18-month period, you’ll receive on- and off-the-job training, including a job rotation that gives you the opportunity to work across different business units.
About the role
We are working at the intersection of risk modelling, data and technology. To handle this complexity, we rely on curious coworkers with an eagerness to learn, who can contribute to a positive atmosphere and develop our risk model by developing themselves. Do you share these values? Then you should consider being part of our team: we are looking for a colleague that is complementing our team as a L&H (Life & Health) Risk Modeller! Our internal model is an outstanding source of risk quantification of all asset and liability risks as well as group effects, such as risk transfers. It requires continuous improvement to remain cutting-edge and support risk monitoring and steering.
Your main responsibilities in this position:
- Analyse and use data from various sources to understand mortality and morbidity trends.
- Design and implement improvements in our L&H models to reflect the latest modelling trends and available data.
- Communicate and explain approaches and results to internal partners and regulators.
- Address findings/issues from internal risk model validation and regulators. Ensure accurate documentation.
- Cooperate with colleagues across business and IT functions to design robust and efficient solutions.
About the team
We are a Zurich based team of 14 highly motivated and skilled Risk Modellers within Group Risk Management tasked to build and maintain Swiss Re’s internal capital model, which is used for regulatory reporting (Swiss Solvency Test and Solvency II) and capital allocation. We work with numerous internal partners in Risk Management, Actuarial, Finance, Investments and Underwriting as well as regulators. We have implemented a state of the art modelling platform over the last years that you will operate, expand and improve. We are passionate about delivering benefits to our partners and are a highly collaborative and diverse team.
- Successfully completed university degree, preferably in mathematics, computer science, physics or equivalent.
- Ability and enthusiasm to work in a global and multicultural environment.
- Mature & self-confident; able to work with business partners or senior colleagues.
- Strong analytical skills and can focus on details without losing track of the bigger picture.
- Good English communication with the ability to explain complex matters in a simple way.
- Experience in programming in one or multiple programming languages.
- Working style: focused, well-organised, self-motivated, great teammate, open and curious, quick-minded, fast-learner.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity and transparency at our company. Our aim is to live visible and invisible diversity - diversity of age, race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, physical abilities, personalities and experiences - at all levels and in all functions and regions. We also collaborate in a flexible working environment, providing you with a compelling degree of autonomy to decide how, when and where to carry out your tasks.