RiSE - Roche internship for Scientific Exchange - Autism Genetics for Stratification and Response Prediction (9 months) Urgent hiring
RiSE - Roche internship for Scientific Exchange - Autism Genetics for Stratification and Response Prediction (9 months)
At Roche, we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now - even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are fearless in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
The RiSE program (Roche Internships for Scientific Exchange)is a highly competitive student research program at Roche. It offers the most talented postgraduate students the opportunity to be fully integrated into our interdisciplinary and international industry R&D environment. As a RiSE student you will enhance your competencies, gain valuable work experience with us, and eventually become part of a world-wide network of RiSE Alumni.
The Neuroscience and Rare Diseases Discovery and Translational Area (NRD DTA) is developing medicines for a range of serious neurological diseases, including multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, autism, spinal muscular atrophy, Huntington’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
As a RiSE student in the NRD DTA, you will join our group in Biomarkers & Translational Technologies at the Roche Innovation Center Basel, Switzerland in order to develop and apply statistically high-powered approaches to genetic stratification and response prediction in our clinical trials in Autism Spectrum Disorder. You will be hosted and mentored by a team of Roche scientists who will guide you through your research and provide you with the needed work infrastructure and collaborative network.
During the internship your tasks will include:
- Extensive background literature review of current and historical ASD genetics literature, with summary for a diverse audience, of a quality sufficient for peer-reviewed publication;
- Identification of priority methods for enrichment or stratification given existing and anticipated sample sizes, in consultation with Roche’s internal and external networks of ASD experts;
- Interrogation of the largest genetics datasets in ASD (iPsych, MSSNG, SFARI, as well as internal Roche datasets) using genetic methods prioritized from literature review and expert consultation;
- Author, pre-register (https://aspredicted.org/, https://osf.io/) and execute a statistical analysis plan to test predictions of differential drug response as a function of genetic status, using the above markers, and test of that hypothesis in internal and/or external clinical trial datasets.
- Present the results to diverse audiences and prepare them for peer-reviewed publication
Who You Are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Moreover you are/have:
- Enrolled in a PhD or medical degree program at a university and are looking to expand your experience with an industry internship (must still be enrolled at University for 50% of the duration of the stay at Roche)
- Experience with vcftools, plink, Bioconductor R packages and other packages & stand alone tools for advanced statistical genetics analysis
- Demonstrated hands-on programming experience with R (e.g., base/tidyverse, use of Rmarkdown or RShiny a plus) or Python.
Information about application documents and start date:
Applications need to include a CV and a cover letter, as well as a letter from your academic supervisor supporting your application to the RiSE Program. The internship can start between now and October 2019 - please clearly indicate your preferred starting date of internship in your cover letter.
Please note that due to regulations non-EU/EFTA citizens have to provide a certificate from the university stating that an industry internship is mandatory as part of the university training.
If you still have questions, then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Wer wir sind
At Roche, 94,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we’ve become one of the world’s leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
- StandortSwitzerland,Basel-City,Basel Headquarter
- Funktion Vocational & Development Programs
- Subfunktion Internship
- Arbeitszeit Full time
- Funktionsebene Entry Level
- Art der Anstellung Temporary (Fixed Term)
- Firma/ Division Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Posted since 2019/06/10
- Job-ID 201906-117294
Kontaktieren Sie uns
Dr. Volker Herdtweck-Nietzel