Graduate Data Engineer & Actuary
Location: Zurich, Zurich, CH
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the role & team
We are the Costing Methods and Analytical Services (CMAS) team within Swiss Re Institute’s Group Portfolio Underwriting unit. We are a very dynamic and diverse team, and we find collaboration, transparency and agility very important. Sharing these values is a key selection criteria. Our team is spread across the world, your role will be based in Zurich. We advise on major underwriting decisions and are responsible for their implementation in costing new business. We contribute our knowledge towards the efficient deployment of shareholder’s capital to the most promising underwriting risk pools. There is close collaboration with colleagues from underwriting, finance and risk management functions. Further responsibilities are:
- Definition and improvement of the costing methods, including the review, calibration and deployment of costing parameters.
- Creation and delivery of Geo products, services and analytics
- Performance of underwriting projects with strategic implications for Swiss Re
- Advancement of our company´s thought leadership
As a new member of our team, you will help Swiss Re’s out-performance by outstanding underwriting portfolio management. You will contribute to the internal economic costing model and its parameters which is essential for daily decision-making in Underwriting and across all Swiss Re business units globally. Furthermore, you will extend our unified data model on a state-of-the-art data platform. Then, by analysing current market and portfolio developments with different departments, you will come up with sophisticated intelligence about future trends which will influence Swiss Re’s capital allocation.
Are you up for the challenge? If yes, we would love to get to know you!
- You have the strength of character to stick to key principles and maintain integrity.
- Strong interest in/motivation to learn about insurance/reinsurance
- Communicate clearly to different audiences and naturally bring individuals together across countries and functions.
- Strong collaboration with cross functional working groups or projects
- Team-player, willingness to contribute actively to the overall team spirit
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to focus on details without losing track of the bigger picture
- You enjoy working independently.
- Mature & self-confident; able to work with clients, business partners or senior colleagues
- You navigate ambiguity in a changing environment with ease.
- University degree with strong quantitative background in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering, business or economics.
- Programming experience in a modern language e.g. Python, SQL or equivalent.
- Excellent oral and written English skills; additional language skills advantageous.
We are looking forward to your application!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.