Associate Director, Innovation Team Lead
Janssen R&D discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases & vaccines, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases.
Please visit http://www.JanssenRnD.com for more information.
What matters most at J&J is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing, and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time.
And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
We thrive on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and a commitment to inclusion. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us.
We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for an enthusiastic, highly innovative, technology and data analytics focused Associate Director Technical Lead to join its Methodology and Innovation(M&I) team in the Clinical and Statistical Programming (C&SP) group within Janssen Research & Development (JRD), located in the USA.
As a highly qualified technical leader, the Associate Director Technical Lead uses an in-depth understanding of clinical and/or statistical programming processes, tools/systems, and strong project and team leadership skills to influence, shape, and develop technical and process strategy and solutions that deliver increased quality, efficiency and innovation solutions within the functional area.
Operating in project and team leadership roles that directly support the Clinical and Statistical Programming Therapeutic Area (or assigned group), this position focuses on research and innovation in emerging spaces and standard tools development
They are responsible for identifying and evaluating customer needs, as well as defining and implementing the development and adoption strategy of innovative technical solutions using brand-new technologies and methods that increase automation, efficiency, and/or quality in the data management, risk-based central monitoring, statistical analysis, visualization and regulatory submission of clinical data.
In collaboration with senior departmental leadership, this position influences departmental effectiveness acting as a change agent to shape, drive and implement departmental technical strategic vision. They also provide matrix leadership to departmental staff and may, in line with business needs, provide functional area people leadership.
- Accountable for providing strategic technical leadership and expertise in roles that directly support Clinical and Statistical Programming Therapeutic Area / assigned group, research, and innovation in emerging spaces and/or standard tools’ development.
- Strategic partnering with leads, user community, and departmental/external stakeholders to identify innovation, automation, and continuous improvement opportunities. Proposes evaluates and develops solutions and strategies that drive competitive advantage.
- Applies a strong customer focus to evaluate customer needs/requirements, thinking broadly end-to-end, and deliver relevant solutions, in alignment with departmental technical strategies.
- Coordinates work allocation of internal and external team members.
- Leads complex departmental innovation and process improvement projects. May lead or contribute technical clinical and/or statistical programming expertise to cross-functional projects.
- Leads community of practice identifying, influencing, and leveraging synergies in strategy, processes, and innovations across the department.
- Serves as a departmental resource in areas of technical expertise. Coaches and trains clinical and/or statistical programmers to support the continuous enhancement of technical capabilities.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of industry, functional and departmental processes, trends and technologies ensuring optimal implementation and adoption to support current and future needs.
- As needed, proactively engages and manages external vendor(s) in building innovative solutions and complex systems.
- Ensures continued compliance with required company and departmental training, time reporting, and other business/operational processes as required for the position.
- Travel up to 10-15%
In the role of Statistical Programming Therapeutic Area/Value Team focused Methodology Leader;
- Accountable to the assigned Statistical Programming Therapeutic Area Head(s) for delivery of innovation projects and efficiencies as defined by the Therapeutic Area goals and strategy.
- In collaboration with Statistical Programming Therapeutic Area Heads and Portfolio Leads, identifies and implements strategic opportunities for the development and adoption of innovative new tools, technologies, and methods that increase the efficiency of portfolio delivery within and across Therapeutic Areas.
- Leads Therapeutic Area-specific innovation/efficiency projects.
In the role of Research and Innovation Leader;
- Accountable for the design, development, deployment of innovation projects. Develops roadmaps and, strategic implementation and change management plans. Leads projects exploring and developing emerging tools, platforms, technologies, and methodologies for potential practical application in support of portfolio needs.
- Brings new insights & technology to the table, leads business case development & may be responsible for the execution.
- Expertise in prototyping. Partners with cross-functional teams to assess strategy in creating potential value to the business resulting from idea generation.
- Connects and partners across technical groups within J&J to leverage institutional knowledge and solutions.
In the role of Application & Design and Training Support Leader;
- Accountable for developing support roadmaps for all production applications. May act as business owner for technical systems.
- Develops application support strategy and infrastructure needs.
- Develops automation testing strategy to support the overall testing process in new and existing applications.
- Provides application design recommendations that align with long and short-term clinical and/or statistical programming technical strategies.
- Connects and partners across technical groups within J&J to leverage institutional knowledge and solutions.
In the role of Applications development & Automation Strategy Leader;
- Develops and supervises the development of technical solutions (e.g. SAS macros, R functions/ packages, and tools) that support the automation of clinical and/or statistical programming activities across the department, providing technical support and training as needed.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of robust software development plans including user requirement specifications, functional specifications, design specifications, and test plans and scripts as required.
- Shares experience and knowledge to assist in the building strategy and solutions that are aligned with industry best practices on RPA.
- Identifies opportunities and support the development of business cases to drive the continued adoption of automation solutions throughout the organization
- Accountable for defining automation strategy to build tools and code repository for Global standards.
As Functional Area People Leader;
- Responsible for attracting and retaining top talent, proactively handling performance and actively supporting talent development and succession planning. Ensures organizational effectiveness, transparency, and communication.
- Ensures training compliance and development of appropriate job skills for assigned personnel. Supervises their work allocation, providing coaching and guidance as necessary.
- Responsible for local administration and decision-making associated with the management of assigned personnel.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science, mathematics, data science/analytics, public health, or other relevant scientific field (or equivalent theoretical/technical depth) required. Advanced Degree (Master’s, Ph.D. or equivalent) preferred.
Experience and Skills:
- Approximately 10+ years programming experience with increasing responsibility OR Masters (or equivalent) in a relevant field and 8+ yrs relevant experience OR Ph.D. in a relevant field and 6+ yrs relevant experience. Experience in a pharmaceutical/ clinical trial environment preferred.
- Experience in software design, development, and testing (e.g. SAS Macros, R functions/packages tools, etc).
- Expertise in application development and building automation strategies.
- Demonstrated project leadership and management experience.
- Strong problem-solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- In-depth knowledge of programming practices (including tools and processes), relevant health authority guidelines, such as (e.g. ICH-GCP, 21 CFR Part 11), and relevant clinical R&D concepts.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams and leading in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrated strong written, verbal communication skills, ability to manage conflicting demands and priorities, and to negotiate successfully.
- Knowledge of data structures and relevant languages for data manipulation and reporting (including SAS, R, Python, etc.)
- Knowledge of industry standards such as CDISC, specifically SDTM and controlled terminology and/or ADaM.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning and advanced statistical techniques.
- Experience in Software Development Life cycle (SDLC) process.
- Knowledge of machine learning using NLPs, Deep learning, etc., developing methodologies that can be applied in solving advanced statistical problems.
- Knowledge in implementing Robotic Process Automation (RPA)s
- Experience working with DevOps tools and supporting cloud-based platforms
- Demonstrated people management skills and experience in staff performance management and people development.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Inter-office travel within country/region (approx. 10 to 20%)
Primary Location: Raritan, NJ US
Other Location(s): US, EU, and APAC
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House- Other Locations
Europe/Middle East/Africa-Belgium-Antwerp, Europe/Middle East/Africa-United Kingdom-England-High Wycombe, North America-United States-California-La Jolla, United States-New Jersey-Raritan, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Switzerland-Allschwil, United States-New Jersey-Titusville, United States-California-San Diego, United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-California-South San Francisco
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)