Countdown to graduation: tips for a successful final spurt and an unforgettable graduation ceremony
The time at university flies by and suddenly graduation is just around the corner.
- January 15, 2024
- 2 Min. reading time
The time at university flies by and suddenly graduation is just around the corner. These final months are an exciting mix of anticipation, nostalgia and a little uncertainty about what comes next.
Here are some tips on how to fully savour this time and prepare for graduation and the graduation ceremony at the same time.
Checklist for graduation
- Decide on your topic and find a supervisor.
- Create a timetable for completion, including time for research, writing and proofreading.
- Plan regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss progress and any unanswered questions.
- Make sure that you submit your thesis on time.
Examinations and certificates of achievement
- Check that you have completed all required courses and exams.
- Keep an eye on the deadlines for final exams and submissions.
- Register for re-examinations if necessary.
- If necessary, submit an application for a degree certificate.
- Check that all necessary documents are complete and correct.
- Update your CV and prepare application documents with a current application photo.
- Search for suitable job vacancies or prepare your applications for further study programmes. On talendo.ch you will find a large selection of job offers in all possible areas.
- Use networks. These include career fairs such as those organised by talendo, universities or universities of applied sciences and alumni associations.
- Get an overview of any student debt and check repayment plans.
- Plan a budget for the time after your studies.
Leaving the university
- Clarify the formalities for de-registration.
- If necessary, return library cards and other university IDs.
After all the effort, learning and challenges of studying, the moment that all students have been working towards arrives: the graduation ceremony. It symbolises not only the end of an important stage in your life, but also the beginning of a new chapter. Here's how to prepare for it.
Checklist for the graduation ceremony
- Find out the date, time and location of the graduation ceremony.
- Create a guest list that includes family, friends and important people.
- Send out invitations in good time so that your guests can plan ahead.
- Allow enough time for your personal preparation on the day of the ceremony, for example for your hairstyle and outfit.
- Choose a suitable outfit. Bear in mind the dress code, if one is specified.
- Choose an outfit that is both stylish and comfortable. You should feel comfortable on this special day.
After the ceremony
- Think about how you would like to end the day, for example with a meal in a restaurant or a (small) party.
- Make appropriate reservations or preparations.
- Thank the people who have supported you during your studies.
Graduation is not just an end, but also a new beginning. It is a transition to new adventures and challenges. Enjoy this last period of your studies, look to the future with confidence and if you need help, visit talendo.ch – your partner for studies, career entry and careers.